Getting to the Heart of the Problem with Diagnostics
Whether your pet is showing signs of illness or needs routine blood work for a comprehensive health assessment, our doctors rely on only the most advanced diagnostics equipment. Making an accurate and efficient diagnosis is essential to finding a safe, effective treatment. Furthermore, it helps us find issues that are hidden below the surface and can only be detected through laboratory testing or imaging.
Overall, we pride ourselves on our ability to offer a large variety of diagnostic services and tests to help pets in need.
Our Diagnostic Services
We use the following tools to evaluate and diagnose many different health conditions in pets:
- Digital X-ray
Can help us detect bone fractures and deformities, foreign bodies, tumors and more. Digital X-ray is more efficient than traditional film X-ray, and helps us produce clearer images of the skeletal system.
- Echocardiography (ECG)
Helps us study the heart’s electrical activity, and detect:
- The heart’s size and shape
- Heart rate
- Cardiac masses
- Arrhythmias and irregular beats
- Size and shape of heart valves
- The direction, flow and magnitude of blood through the heart
- Laboratory testing
We have a full in-house laboratory with which we can run tests on blood, urine, fecal matter and biopsied tissue.
Common Heart Problems in Pets
We’re dedicated to making sure your pet’s heart stays healthy and strong. Our state-of-the-art ECG tools can help us detect various heart conditions, including:
- Congestive heart failure
- Aortic stenosis (narrowing of the aortic valve)
- Mitral valve insufficiency ("leaky valve disease")
- Pulmonic stenosis (obstructed blood flow from the heart's right ventricle to the pulmonary artery)
- Hypertrophic and dilated cardiomyopathy (an abnormally thick or thin heart muscle, making it difficult for the heart to pump blood)
Symptoms of a heart condition may include chronic coughing, heavy breathing, weakness and a lack of appetite. If you have any concerns about your pet's health, we may need to go beyond a physical exam and utilize our diagnostic capabilities. For more information, give us a call at (847) 966-3080.